01-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Quote:Welcome to the Daily Squidger's Top News of the day - the #1 news program in the Commonwealth of Hamland!
The Top News will give you fresh news from Hamland, and only give you the most basic facts so you can stay informed quickly.
January 27, 2017
RAVAILLAC ASSASINATED, COUNTRY DESCENDS INTO CIVIL WAR
- Interim Prime Minister Donat Ravaillac was shot by anarchist radicals in New Kirrie. He was addressing soldiers at a military review when shot.
- Ravaillac was rushed to New Kirrie Military Hospital. He was dead on arrival, at age 48. He is survived by his wife, Celia, and three children.
- The Council of State for the Salvation of Hamland (CSSH) has named General Augustus Eliphas as Ravaillac's successor. He takes office immediately and has ordered a massive crackdown against resistance to the Council.
- New Kirrie is among several Hammish cities that have seen a huge military crackdown. Military police are now patrolling some major cities, but across the country fighting between CSSH forces and a emboldened resistance has broken the country and threaten to descend into a massive civil war.
- Ravaillac was a unifying figure across Hamland who aimed to transition the nation back to democracy. Plans were rumored to include a new Constitution and economic reforms aimed at creating jobs and rebuilding national infrastructure.
- Responsibility for the Ravaillac assassination is disputed. Those loyal to Ravaillac insist that the assassination and rise of General Eliphus were planned by the military to wrestle control away from Ravaillac. Others believe that Ravaillac was killed by orders of the National Salvation Front.
- Explosions rocked New Kirrie soon after Ravaillac's assassination. The Prime Minister's Residence was attacked by a car bomb inside a large truck. Some bridges and roads were also blown up, allegedly by anarchist radicals.