Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[1659] Royal Assent: Rights and Privileges Act, 1658
(04-06-2018, 06:41 PM)The Woolsack Wrote:
Quote:
RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES ACT 1658
An Act to protect the basic rights and privileges of the citizens of the Kingdom of the Union of Caputia, and for other purposes.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords and Burgesses in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

ARTICLE 1. Citation.
This act may be cited for all purposes as “Rights and Privileges Act, 1658.”

ARTICLE 2. General Rights and Privileges for All Citizens.
1. Caputians are equal before the law, whatever may be their titles and ranks.
2. The guarantee of the rights of the citizen necessitates a public force: this force is thus instituted for the advantage of all and not for the utility of those in whom it is trusted.
3. For the maintenance of the public force and for the expenditures of administration, a common contribution is indispensable; it must be equally distributed to all the citizens, according to their ability to pay.
4. Each citizen has the right to ascertain, by themselves or through their representatives, the need for a public tax, to consent to it freely, to know the uses to which it is put, and of determining the proportion, basis, collection, and duration.
5. All Caputians are equally admissible to civil and military employments.
6. Their personal liberty is likewise guaranteed; no one can be prosecuted nor arrested save in the cases provided by law and in the form which it prescribes.
7. Liberty consists of doing anything which does not harm others: thus, the exercise of the natural rights of each man has only those borders which assure other members of the society the fruition of these same rights. These borders can be determined only by the law.
8. Everyone may profess their religion with equal freedom, and shall obtain for their worship the same protection; with exception for cults and faiths that motivate crime by prejudice and hate.
9. Ministers of the Church of Caputia, the Dozan Bovic Church, and the Faith of Inti alone receive stipends from the Royal Treasury.
10. Caputians have the right to publish and to have printed their opinions, while conforming with the laws, which are necessary to restrain abuses of that liberty.
11. Property being an inviolable and sacred right, no one can be deprived of private usage, if it is not when the public necessity, legally noted, evidently requires it, and under the condition of a just and prior indemnity.
12. Conscription is abolished. The method of recruiting for the armed forces is determined by the laws.

ARTICLE 3. Rights and Privileges During Court Proceedings.
1. All individuals shall be entitled to a fair hearing before a court of law for all civil and criminal matters and shall be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
2. All individuals shall be entitled to elect to be assisted by a representative learned in the law, preferably of their own choice, during a court proceeding, provided that if the individual is unable or unwilling to so elect, a qualified individual, learned in the law, shall be duly appointed by the judge in the aforesaid proceeding.
3. All parties in criminal or civil proceedings shall have a right to present evidence, compel the testimony of witnesses, cross-examine witnesses, and present their arguments for the consideration of the court.
4. No individual may be found guilty of an offense if they allegedly committed the offense before it had come into law.
5. No individual shall be made to stand trial twice for the same offense or action, excepting cases of a mistrial. This shall not constrain appellate courts to review and rehear a case in a timely manner.
6. No individual in a criminal trial shall be compelled to offer testimony or produce any evidence which might incriminate themselves.
7. The law should establish only penalties that are strictly and evidently necessary, and no one can be punished but under a law established and promulgated before the offense and legally applied.

ARTICLE 4. Constitutional Significance, Amendment.
1. This Act shall be designated as a constitutional document of the Kingdom of the Union of Caputia, a continuation of the Constitution Act and an integral part of our nation.
2. This Act can only be amended by a two-thirds vote of the Parliament, or by a national non-binding consultative referendum.

ARTICLE 5. Commencement.
This legislation and all the provisions therein shall come into force upon receiving the Royal Assent.

[Image: jzmYnSe.png]

ROYAL ASSENT

Responsio Regis: "La Reine le veult."

ELIZABETH, Queen of all Caputians, Queen of Hamland and of Her Other Realms and Territories, Queen and Governor-General of Haifa, Supreme Governor of the Church of Caputia, Captain-General of all Caputia, Defender of the Faith, Uniter and Defender of the People, To Our right trusty and right well-beloved the Lords Temporal of Our Realm and to Our trusty and well-beloved the Knights Citizens and Burgesses, together in this present Parliament assembled, GREETING:

FORASMUCH as in Our said Parliament the RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES ACT, 1658 has been agreed and accorded upon by you Our loving Subjects, the Lords and Burgesses in this present Parliament assembled, and endorsed by you as has been accustomed, yet the said Act is not of force and effect in the Law without Our Royal Assent given and put;

AND FORASMUCH as We cannot at this time be present in the House of Our said Parliament, that being the accustomed place for giving Our Royal Assent to such Acts as have been agreed upon by you Our said Subjects the Lords and Burgesses, We have therefore caused these Our Letters Patent to be made and have signed them, and by them do give Our Royal Assent to the said Acts and Measures, WILLING that the said Acts and Measures shall be of the same strength, force, and effect as if We had been personally present in the said House of Our said Parliament and had publicly and in the presence of you all assented to the same:

AND WE DO DECLARE that after this Our Royal Assent given and declared as is aforesaid, then and immediately the said Acts and Measures shall be taken and accepted as good and perfect Acts and Measures of Parliament and be put in due execution accordingly:

In Witness whereof We have caused these Our Letters to be made Patent:

WITNESS Ourself at Bellesea Palace the 13th day of Grunil, 1659, in the Sixth year of Our Reign.

BY THE QUEEN HERSELF SIGNED WITH HER OWN HAND -

[Image: VgIv1EA.png]

[Image: UIs1g83.png]          [Image: 3bSN1pq.png]
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth I
(formerly known as Regina Ravaillac)
Queen of the Kingdom of the Union of Caputia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [1659] Writ of Summons for the Second Caputian Parliament Queen Elizabeth I 0 13 04-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Queen Elizabeth I
  [1659] Royal Proclamation: Establishments of the Caputian Royal Court Queen Elizabeth I 0 12 04-21-2018, 06:07 PM
  [1658] Royal Assent: Intelligence Act, 2018 Queen Elizabeth I 0 49 03-30-2018, 12:47 PM
  [1658] Royal Assent: Strategic Petroleum Reserve Act Queen Elizabeth I 0 42 03-30-2018, 12:45 PM
  [1658] Royal Assent: Election Act, 1657 Queen Elizabeth I 0 36 03-30-2018, 12:43 PM
  [1658] Royal Assent: Royal Succession Act, 1658 Queen Elizabeth I 0 38 03-30-2018, 12:41 PM
  [1658] Royal Assent: Local Government Act, 1658 Queen Elizabeth I 0 34 03-30-2018, 12:21 PM
  [1658] Proclamation: Death of Edgard II Queen Elizabeth I 0 80 03-08-2018, 02:36 PM
  [1658] Royal Assent: National Road Infrastructure Act, 2017 Queen Elizabeth I 0 70 03-06-2018, 04:13 PM
  [1658] Order-in-Council: State Owned Corps Chief Executives Queen Elizabeth I 0 55 03-06-2018, 12:52 PM